What Does Stevie Nicks Have to Do With Punk Rock?





What does Stevie Nicks have to do with punk rock? Well, nothing, really. But she's totally gonna help me raise money to put together my coffee table book of images from my traveling photo exhibit, Unguarded Moments: Backstage and Beyond.

Stevie and the rest of the Rumours line up of Fleetwood Mac (I was rather fond of the original Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer line-up myself), aside from being world renown hitmakers, are among the musicians I have photographed in my lifetime and the photos of the first Buckingham-Nicks performances with Fleetwood Mac are an intrinsic part of my life in the Central Coast beach suburb that informed my perspective.

You will see these photos of Fleetwood Mac in my book's intro.

So, I have decided to offer select images from the 1976 line-up of Fleetwood Mac, featuring the earliest appearances of Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. They'll make a great Christmas Gift for the classic rock fan on your gift list.

These photos were taken at the UCSB stadium where Fleetwood Mac performed on May 2, 1976 - or that's the date on my envelope that contained these negatives. I also saw them open for the Faces in August of 1975 and was a bit confused by the presence of new members, Buckingham and Nicks. Confusion was negated by a decent version of "Oh Well," and once the Faces hit the stage, nothing that preceded them mattered.

As time passed, however, in the very few months between the Faces last gig as The Faces until their 21st Century reunion (without Rod the Mod), all that classic rock seemed to matter less and less for my closest friends and me.








We were rocking something new that resonated for us in a way that The Beatles resonated for kids like us back in the earliest days of the 60s. Girls screamed for the Fab Four; we had our own Fab Four, too... The Ramones. Not that the rock n roll that went before was all for naught; we took lots from the Beatles and the Stones. But we took from their periods of urgent relevance, and from there, we launched our own period of urgent relevance, and kept it more urgent and quite simply kept it urgent all the time.


In 2011, every single one of these bands mentioned on this page and most of them visually referenced, are in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.

It is enduring. And a picture is worth a thousand words.

Stay tuned for more info on the Vintage Classic Rock Photos by me, Theresa K. They won't be available for very long, and buying them means you get a fairly limited edition piece of art and you're helping me create the coffee table book for Unguarded Moments: Backstage and Beyond. Help punk rock endure! Spread the word!



Comments

Popular Posts