VooDoo with the Cramps


The Cramps, originally uploaded by Theresa K.

Here they are on their first trip to Los Angeles - The Cramps.

This photo was taken in Lux and Ivy's room at the long gone, not forgotten and much missed Tropicana.

Pleasant and I met the Cramps courtesy of our friend, Mumps musical director, key songwriter and keyboard playing genius, Kristian Hoffman.

One day, while having one of those girlie days of sorting fishnet tights and other wardrobe items, Pleasant receives a phone call from Lux, "Pleasant? Lux Interior from the Cramps. Kristian Hoffman told me you were the coolest chick in California and that I had to meet you."

Well, that's the way it was for us, with word of mouth from friends introducing us to other bands we would like and befriend.

At this photo session, I wanted to capture a particular film-noir look - it was the Los Angeles that I grew up in, after all - the shadowy, late night compulsions of James M. Cain, Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett novels. I brought a single lamp - a 500 watt bulb that burned hot and bright. I placed it on the bed in order to get this shot. It burned a hole in the bedspread! Of all the hotel pranks that the Cramps might do, I don't think they were intending to ever burn a hole in the bedspread...my bad.

You can own a copy of this image by visiting my Online Store. Some inspired people who read this website have actually ordered this image on coffee mugs... which you can do in the store. Its Christmas time, after all. Great idea for a unique gift AND it goes without saying that your purchase makes a great gift to me....yeah, the punk hustle. Actually, there's NO MARK-UP on the mugs. But that price is good only through Christmas Day.

Comments

Popular Posts