Year of the Memoir: Belinda Carlisle

As I have said, and will keep saying -- 2010 is the Year of the Memoir... another punk rocker from the 70s, Belinda Carlisle has a book entitled: Lips Unsealed: A Memoir, due on June 1.

Back in the 70s, when this photo was taken, very much like Cindy Sherman was doing, I was creating a series of stills with a vehemently female pop culture focus.

While Sherman's renowned Untitled Film Stills (which were produced during the same period of time that Belinda Carlisle, Pleasant Gehman and I produced our series of campy female images) feature herself as the protagonist in a postmodern salute to female film star cliches, the series I created with LA Punk Rock It Girls, Belinda and Pleasant were postmodern salutes to fashion photography and pulp fiction book covers.

Only in retrospect is this girl power punk rock / art zeitgeist truly apparent. I'm not taking this opportunity to compare myself to Cindy Sherman (whose work I admire and collect), but to observe that our generation had a specific flavor of sui-generis that we spit out into our art...


gradient belinda for blog
Belinda and Pleasant
16x20 exhibition print available inquire here

Comments

Popular Posts