Good Rockin This Week

Every once in a while, there's a stretch of time where you go out every night because there's such great music to be seen and heard. In Los Angeles over the next ten days or so, there's so much to see and hear... will I see you there?

Mick hears something funny

Tuesday March 28 at the Troubadour in Los Angeles, the The Dirtbombs headline a killer show that includes The Black Lips and LA's very own trio of punk ferocity, The Lamps.

More Lamps

Let me tell you something about those Black Lips. They're awesome and they're easy to look at...but I'm not so sure I'll be getting up close to take any live pictures of them. Their stage show is so unpredictable...I don't know if one of them is gonna bleed on me, spray me with beer or other projectile liquids, or if I'll get to witness some kind of funny performance art in between songs. What can you say? That's punk. You shouldn't miss it.

Another show you should not miss is the Jeffrey Lee Pierce Memorial/Tribute show at the Scene in Glendale. This celebration marks the 10th anniversary of Jeffrey Lee Pierce’s passing. His family, friends and fans will gather at the Scene in Glendale to remember, honor and dance.

Live performances by…
THE LEAVING TRAINS
FLASH EXPRESS
THE GUILTY HEARTS


DJ Jacqui Pierce will be spinning from Jeffrey’s record collection.

Who knows what other surprises may be in store?

Friday March 31st, 2006 at The Scene Bar in Glendale. The Scene Bar is located at 806 E. Colorado Blvd. Doors on the night of the event will open at 9 pm. The Show will start at 10pm.

The New York Dolls or what's left of them - David Johansen and Sylvain Sylvain will be at Spaceland in Silver Lake on April 3. I believe this show is sold out...but maybe you can loiter on the street, pick up a ticket from a street entrepreneur or just hear the rock.

David & Syl

I'm sure this will be a star-studded event. It looks like the Dolls are creating mayhem where ever they go these days - they are playing venues way too small for their appeal. Punk rock riot with a glam hangover anyone?

Here's Syl with everyone's favorite drummer, Blondie's Clem Burke.

Clem & Syl

Clem is one of my oldest, dearest friends and I'm looking forward to seeing him while I'm in LA. Perhaps at this very same New York Dolls gig. I'm really looking forward to seeing Sami Yaffa playing bass with the Dolls. If you don't know or remember, Sami was a member of 80s Finnish glam rock sensations, Hanoi Rocks. If ever there was the perfect person and perfect musician to fill Arthur Kane's shoes, it is Sami.

Me & Clem, 2004

If you see us at the Dolls show, please come by and say HI! I really enjoy meeting those of you who read this... like the woman from Cleveland whom I met in Ann Arbor last time I saw the Dirtbombs. Weren't you going to email me?

On April 6, Angelenos are in for another punk rock reunion treat... The Flesheaters will be playing at the Echo. Its been maybe 29 years since I've seen them...meanwhile, a couple days later, on April 8 up in San Francisco, the Fab Mab reunion show with Dead Kennedys, Flipper, Avengers and Mutants with your MC, the irrepresible Dirk Dirksen, proprietor of the fabulous famous Mabuhay Gardens. The show is at the Fillmore. Again, I think its sold out - but if there's a will, there's a way...

There's good rockin tonight, yes there is. Punk rockin.

Comments

Popular Posts