Hot in the City


Billy Idol in Hollywood, originally uploaded by Theresa K.

Billy Idol recorded two great albums with Generation X but the masses discovered him with a solo record and single - "Hot in the City." When I saw Billy perform at NYC's Beacon Theatre last month, he introduced this as a song he wrote while living here.

It is summer though the Summer Soltice has not yet occurred. NYC is hot as can be... and humid. I just thought it was a fitting way to describe the day.

This photo of Billy was taken during his first trip to LA. This is the newstand on Cahuenga Blvd. where you can buy foreign magazines and newspapers. The girls clearly knew Billy was "somebody" but I'm probably going to put money on them not knowing a thing about Generation X, or that Billy would be a big pop star in a few years.

In many ways, Billy's first trip to LA reminded me of the Beatles movie A Hard Day's Night, the girls, the promotional appearances, the older English fella he just wanted to get away from.

I know where Billy is these days. I wonder about the girls.

Comments

Popular Posts