A Reunion


Disconnected Session, originally uploaded by Theresa K.

Last week, Dave Swanson a true gem from the local scene here - the greater North East Ohio area, which includes the rock n roll cities of Cleveland, Kent and Akron, told me about a recording session taking place next week for a tribute compilation in honor of the late Greg Shaw. Dave is involved in this recording and so are my old friends who backed Stiv Bators on "Disconnected," these boys here - Frank Secich, David Steinberg and George Cabaniss.

The other day, a reader posted a comment to one of my entries with a link to a profile on myspace that used this photograph and a note saying she thought that photo was related to the "Disconnected" photo session. She was right! I guess the myspace person lifted this pic off the Bomp! Records website without crediting its creator who is duly credited on the Bomp site. ahem this sort of thing is the bane of a photographer's existence, but thankfully people do show and tell.

Anyway, I am thrilled to see these guys again. It's been 25 years since I saw them. I remember vividly the last time I saw George. I was with Stiv. We were on tour with The Wanderers and in Ohio. We saw George before we left. Stiv and I wanted to drag him to New York with us -- our next stop. The Wanderers were playing with The Ramones at the Palladium! Anyway, George couldn't go. I was disappointed. Not that I would ever play favorites, but I really did enjoy George's company more than I can say. Later, we kept in touch over the phone - he was still in Akron, playing in a band called Color Me Gone. I hadn't talked to Frank the whole time after this project. Nor did I speak with David over the years. I don't know why. Things happen. You work, pay the rent, do stuff. Time passes. Before you know it, 25 years have passed and it really freaks you out.

However, I did hear David's name in conversation a couple years ago. Corky Laing, drummer for the 70s supergroup, Mountain told me that David was his lawyer! This is what happens to nice Jewish boy punks. They grow up to be respectable.

Frank and I spoke for the first time in 25 years last week. It was thrilling to make the connection again.

Comments

Popular Posts