Call Me Call Me Anytime

debbie starwood 4 small

I didn't realize it until just now when I was reading all the archived information out there in cyberspace... but Blondie's Call Me was the #1Single of 1980, according to Billboard. It was recorded in August of 1979 and hit both the US and UK charts in 1980 upon its release in each territory.

The song was co-written by Debbie Harry and the German disco genius behind Donna Summer's success, Giorgio Moroder. While the single spent six weeks at Number 1 in the USA, in Moroder's native Fatherland, Germany, the single was at the top spot for 14 weeks!

debbie triptych

Call Me is from the movie American Gigolo, starring Richard Gere - a movie which to this day, I have not seen... however, I do know that in the film, Gere plays a male prostitute (for ladies) who is accused of the murder of one of his clients. Regardless of whether I ever see this movie, I can say that for Blondie to have worked with someone like Giorgio Moroder when they did was a brave call. They had already transcended their underground status by 1979, after their 1978 breakthrough with a "disco song." But traitors, they are not... way ahead of the curve I say.

DebbieKneeling

Comments

Popular Posts