1977: We Interrupt This Punk Rock for a Glam Moment

Lance Loud
Lance Loud, 1977

On June 12, 1977 my sister turned 16, and in a move both selfish and mentoring, I took her to see Bryan Ferry on his first solo tour. He played at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. Fellow Roxy Music band mate Phil Manzanera was in his band and so was one of my other guitar heroes, Chris Spedding. Ferry was on tour in support of his solo record, In Your Mind, which in my estimation was a superb album of polished pop music as good as the Roxy Music records, and full of mostly original compositions (Ferry's previous solo albums contained mostly covers).

June 1977 also marked the month that I moved into the Famous Lobotomy Apartment at 7231 Franklin Avenue with my friend from the UCLA dormitory Hedrick Hall. She too had a younger sister who came to spend summers in the midst of the rock n roll explosion called punk. In fact, the Bryan Ferry show was a girl's night out - the two UCLA student/music fans/early fans of punk and their little sisters.

Naturally, I was mesmerized by Ferry and his band, but I was even more excited to see all my punk rock friends turning out in their best thrift store glam for his show and even better, that the members of Mumps, who had played a few shows in LA just recently, were also in attendance.

Yes, I believe to this day that even though he "sweat like a hog" (in his own words), Lance Loud was as suave and debonair as Bryan Ferry. Just look at him above!

Lance Loud and Mumps, live at the Starwood 1977

But I thoroughly enjoyed the rough and sweaty Lance more than anything!

That night was the first time that we met Mumps members Kevin Kiely and Rob duPrey, both of whom would become my favorite photographic subjects for the next couple years.

kevin kiely backstage at the whisky a go go
Kevin Kiely - wearing my cream colored jacket under his trench coat!

Rob duPrey
Rob duPrey - who reminded me of the actor Jean-Pierre Leaud, who was the leading man in Francois Truffaut's "Antoine Doinel" movies

Comments

Popular Posts